Sunday, March 8, 2015

I say YES to 25 years of planning, dreaming and wishing...

My 25th wedding anniversary is on March 10th. Stephen (aka Fred Sanford) and I are at the beach for the weekend to celebrate. We always stay in the same place. Nothing fancy, just our style. Before coming we talked about the different things we might do, restaurants we might want to try, etc.... One of the places Stephen wanted to go was a BBQ place in a small town in South Carolina. He saw it on a Food Network show hosted by Andrew Zimern. Sounds intriguing, huh? I mean it was on Food Network so it has to good, right?? Well, when we drove up I was like, "Um, are you sure this is it?" "Do you think it's safe to go in?" "I'm NOT going in!" Anyway, I went in. We ordered. I got a BBQ sandwich, he got the BBQ plate with beans and slaw. We also ordered some homemade pork skins (that alone made it worth it!) Another up note, we got it to go. As we were driving, I pulled my sandwich out of the bag and opened the container. No bread under or over this pile of BBQ. So my sandwich quickly became a BBQ plate with no sides. It was pretty tasty, a little too spicy for my taste buds but Stephen was WAY slobbering over his plate, complete with sides. To make up for having no bread on my breadless sandwich I basically ate a whole bag of pork skins. Clearly, not a wasted trip. Fellow southerners, you know exactly what I mean.
As we continued to travel down the road we talked about the night's plans. Where we would eat dinner, maybe a movie, the Carolina Opry, the mall...No decisions were made. There was plenty of time to decide. So, we checked into the hotel, he quickly checked ESPN, I just as quickly turned on HGTV. Dinner came up again and the decision was made. Stephen went to Food Lion to get a frozen pizza(redneck) and gelato (bougie) . It was perfect.
This pretty much sums up our relationship. We are dreamers. We make lots of plans. We wish a lot. Some plans are epic failures, some dreams have never woken up, some wishes are still floating on the whispers of a dandelion. But, I am not disappointed. I get to plan, dream and wish with my best friend. In all of the things that didn't come to fruition, there are countless other things that have been better than we could have planned, better than we could have dreamed, better than we could have wished.
25 years ago we made a promise to love each other for better or worse. We recognized the "worse" when we saw it but we have also recognized (and are so grateful) the "better". The worse has been forgiven and tucked away to remind us of what we've come through. The better continues to be the road ahead, the trip worth taking even when there is no bread on your BBQ sandwich. It's the trip where plans are planned, dreams are dreamed and wishes are wished.
Ultimately, our plans are not our own anyway. 25 years have taught us to rely on the master travel agent and He says this about plans. "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord,plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
These two BougieRednecks are ready for the next 25 years of plans, dreams and wishes.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness girl! Don't ever say you don't have,a,way with words. That was totally beautiful & funny! You made this lady cry, very proud to be Fred's Mama & your best friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! I loved writing this one. My favorite so far! I love you!!

      Delete