Saturday, February 7, 2015

A new adventure.....more redneck than bougie.

So. We have a new adventure on our hands. Not only is BougieRedneck a way of life, a blog name, an expression of my creative side, it's now an online "store" name. Yep, it's a little crazy. Let me tell you how it started.
My husband watches those picker shows and that other one where they bid on storage buildings to only be surprised by it's contents. Anyway, it started there. He found a place where they have storage wars within driving distance and started to check them out. One day the itch got too strong and he scratched. He bought the contents of a storage building on the sly. He knew I would freak out at first. By nature I am NOT a risk taker but he also knows me well enough to know that I just need a little time to process and get on board. I was only a little mad but it didn't last long. I could see his vision. I just needed my own eyes to open. This investment turned out to be quite profitable. He basically doubled his money. Since then he's been a scavenger, I mean a collector of sorts. I lovingly call him Fred Sanford. I guess that makes me his Elizabeth.
The next phase of this journey came when my grandmother passed away. Her house and several buildings has the contents of her shared life with my grandfather who passed away a few years earlier. Roughly, 85 years worth of the belongings of a crafter, a hunter, a cook, a gardener, a reader, a crocheter, a ceramics maker, a painter, a Dollar General lover, a furniture lover (especially recliners),......you get the point. It's a lot of stuff. As we are sorting out her belongings we have quickly discovered that not only is there a lifetime of stuff there is a lifetime of memories that need to be handled thoughtfully. There are many beautiful, interesting, functional and sentimental items that the public will never see but the other stuff......well, let's just say Fred and Elizabeth realize that BougieRedneck has the potential to become an extension of what Stephen already started. Now it just has a name.
We are always "looking" now. We have that picker eye, that hope in the restoration/repurposing process. And let's face it, we have a very real hope for self-sufficiency. You see, our long term goal is to be business owners. Stephen aka Fred wants to reopen his family's community convenient store (Black's Grocery) and I want BougieRedneck to become more than an online/pick up at the corner business. We both want to grow old buying, selling and creating relationships with the amazing people we meet on this journey. It's a busy, stressful, crazy life but this BougieRedneck girl wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment